As many people who know me will attest – I’m a fan of earthing! It’s such a basic obvious thing humans should do for their overall health and well-being – and vital for people who are suffering from chronic illnesses like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME and any illnesses linked to pain, sleep and inflammation issues.
But still for many, it is hard to grasp that your physical body has electrical components and that the flow of electrons through your body can support your physical health.
To understand more about what earthing is: see article “What is Earthing?“
I keep hearing more and more interesting information about the effects of being earthed! For example 30 minutes of being connected barefoot to the earth on grass, sand, soil or concrete is the equivalent in antioxidants of a sack-full of blueberries administered intravenously!
It’s hard enough to get people to understand that diet and psychology affects health – now we are saying you have an “energy body” or a “body electric” that you need to look after as well as your physical body for health! So what is the evidence behind it?
This is the first important clinical study : Ghaly M and Teplitz D. “The biologic effects of grounding the human body during sleep as measured by cortisol levels and subjective reporting of sleep, pain and stress.” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 2004;10(5):767-776
Subjectively, the participants reported improved sleep along with reduced pain and stress. Even more impressive was the fact that the improvements occurred from the very first days of sleeping grounded. This the summary of the findings:
- All but two subjects developed more natural cortisol rhythm, and one of the exceptions was someone already in a normal pattern
- Eleven of twelve participants said they fell asleep faster
- All twelve reported fewer waking times during the night (a 44% reduction overall)
- Nine out of twelve said they felt more refreshed and less fatigued, with more daytime energy, while three reported no change.
- Of the eleven subjects who said before grounding that their pain interfered with general activities, seven now reported improvement and only four said there was no change.
- Nine out of twelve described reductions in their emotional stress and were less bothered by problems such as anxiety, depression, and irritability; two said there was no change; one said stress was worse
- Six out of seven participants reported improvements of gastrointestinal symptoms
- Five out of six women with either PMS and/or hot flashes said their symptoms were better
- All three individuals with TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint) pain said their discomfort was less
The full study can be read here:
The book: Earthing: The Most important health discovery ever? by Clinton Ober, Dr Stephen Sinatra and Martin Zucker lays out further history and details the evidence, but for ease, I have found the links to the full follow up studies to the one above:
Oschman JL. “Our Place in Nature: Reconnecting with the earth for Better Sleep. “ The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 2004; 10 (5):735-736
Applewhite R. “The effectiveness of a conductive patch and a conductive bed pad in reducing induced human body voltage via the application of earth ground.” European Biology and Bioelectromagnetics 2005; 1:23-40
Chevalier G. Mori K, Oschman, JL. “The effect of earthing (grounding) on human physiology.” European Biology and Bioelectromagnetics January 31, 2006; 600-621
Oschman JL. “Can electrons act as antioxidants? A review and commentary.” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 2007; 13(9):955-967
Brown R, Chevalier G. Hill M. “Pilot study on the effect of grounding on delayed onset muscle soreness.” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine April 2010
Chevalier G. “Changes in pulse rate, respiratory rate, blood oxygenation, perfusion index, skin conductance and their variability induced during and after grounding human subjects for 40 minutes. “ Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine January 2010
Chevalier G, Sinatra ST, Oschman JL, Delany RM. Earthing (Grounding) the Human Body Reduces Blood Viscosity-a Major Factor in Cardiovascular Disease. J Altern Complement Med. 2012 Jul 3.
Start earthing today!